Sunday, October 30, 2011

30 day challenge - day 24

day 24 is a letter to my parents.

Dear parents,
It would be weird for me to write a real letter addressing both of you together since you are no longer together. I can't believe it's been 7 years. It really confuses me that you, Mom, would leave Dad. What did he do wrong? I don't remember you arguing and fighting. I mean sure, there were the typical little arguments but Mom, what caused you to just decide to leave? Honestly, what did Dad do to you? How can a mother just walk away from her children? Anyways, I don't want to get into that. Not now. I do want to say thank you for giving me a good childhood (you know, before I turned 18). Now that I'm older I realize how rough and difficult everything was. I'm thankful there was always food on the table and presents for birthdays and holidays. I'm thankful that you both weren't druggies or alcoholics. I'm thankful for the weekend trips (even if they were church related, I got to stay in a hotel 4x a year. That couldn't have been cheap.) Although I hated the fact that I was sheltered, I appreciate you keeping me out of trouble. I'm glad I had happy memories. I realize now that although I didn't get everything I wanted, I still had a lot. Even though I never imagined my parents getting divorced, I'm happy for all the memories I have as a child and that's all they will be is memories.
 

No comments: