On August 11, I found out that a family friend (my mom's friend) passed away from colon cancer. What's awful is that I lost contact with her when my mother left. The last time I thought of this person was on their birthday (the day before mine) and how I wished I could get ahold of her. I remember this person being at all my birthday parties and holiday dinners. She would sometimes drive me to La Patite in the morning before school when my parents had to work early. She would help me with my math homework because she loved math. I remember always knocking my cup over when we went out to eat at Red Lobster but she never yelled at me even though I knew she was tired of it.
Although she wasn't necessarily my friend, she was like family to me. It's something terrible that contact was lost.
Yes, possibly I could have kept in contact myself but it would have been an awkward situation because every time she (or anyone else from the church) saw me they wanted to know if I heard from my mom or how my dad and siblings were doing. I didn't want to talk about my mom and my dad didn't want everyone in his business.
However when I found out she passed away, I felt guilty and I regret not staying in touch with her (and other people from church). Even though I still don't want all the gossip folk in my business asking questions, I think I may try to get in touch with them again.
R.I.P Joan, you will be missed. I'm sorry I lost touch.
No comments:
Post a Comment